When talking about diet mostly people cut out many foods that are considered unhealthy, like refined carbohydrates, high calorie foods and fats. However, in order to eliminate excess body fat, but one must not ignore fish when planning diet schedule. Fish is a fabulous food – lots of variety in taste and texture, versatile and low in saturated fat. It’s also low in calories – the perfect healthy diet food.
Benefits of fish as food:
- Oily fish (Mackerel, Herring, and Sardines) contain Omega-3 fatty acids, a type of polyunsaturated fat which can help to reduce total blood cholesterol. Omega-3 in the diet protects the heart and circulation and may reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
- Fish is lean, it contains healthy oil. Known as omega-3 fatty acids, these fish oils offer some amazing health benefits, such as preventing heart disease and cancer, help in treating psoriasis and arthritis, and relieving the agony of migraine headaches and helping with weight control. Fatty fish tend to have more omega-3s than leaner fish, but even “fatty” fish contain less fat than lean beef or chicken. Even canned fish like tuna, sardines, and salmon, when eaten bones and all, pack your meal with plenty of good-for-your-bones calcium, too.
- It has now been scientifically proven that Omega-3 fish oil helps in losing weight. Studies at the University of South Australia have found that taking omega-3 fish oil combined with moderate aerobic exercise boosts weight loss.
- A recent study that was published in the international journal of obesity, tells that researchers want to find out if by supplementing the diet with omega 3 fish oil (good fat) would increase the number of fat calories burned in a single day.
- Fish is a low fat /good fat source of protein, essential for the healthy growth and maintenance of muscles and body tissues.
- Medical studies have shown that Omega-3 oils play an important part in aiding the development of our brains.
- Sea food contains an abundance of essential minerals – iron, zinc, iodine and selenium.
Thus fish is a high-protein, low-fat food that provides a range of health benefits.